Thursday, July 14, 2011

All-purpose Cleaner

No, I haven't forgotten about you all!  We have just been busy enjoying the summer weather and trying to find time to do some family things together.  It seems like it gets harder to find family time as our kids get older, between different work schedules, travel,  friends and hobbies, everyone is always going in a different direction.  I have also spent a few days working on my UFO (un-finished objects) sewing box and helping a friend with some sewing.  I finished up a stack of layering tank tops for my daughter and am working on a purse I cut a year and a half ago!  

On to today's post--my favorite all purpose cleaner.  I have been making my own cleaning products for years.  I started making my own cleaners simply because we were on a limited budget and I disliked spending $4 for bathroom cleaner that smelled funny.  A lot of my original recipes came from reading old magazines (even in the 60's women were trying to save money on cleaners) and books and then experimenting till I found something I liked and worked well for me. 


All-Purpose Cleaner

1/2 C. vinegar* (a great disinfectant)
1 tsp. borax (add water softening properties)
1 tsp. liquid soap (use castille or dish detergent)
2 tsp. baking soda (add disinfecting and odor removing)
15 drops Tea Tree essential oil (a great antibacterial-antimicrobial oil) (Or use your favorite essential oil)
warm water
Use a funnel to pour vinegar, borax, liquid soap and baking soda into empty spray bottle.  Beware when you add the baking soda the mixture will foam up a bit. 

Fill bottle with warm water to within 1" of top.

Place  top on bottle and shake gently to mix.  Be sure to label your bottle.

~I use this spray for all my general purpose cleaning in the kitchen and bath.

*I use an orange vinegar--place orange peels  in a jar and cover with white vinegar.  The orange oils in the peels help break down grease, disinfect and add a pleasant smell.  Add additional vinegar as needed.  Replace peels every 3-4 months. 

~This also works with lemon, lime or grapefruit rinds.  Or use your favorite herbs for an herbal vinegar, lavender and thyme work well but make a dark colored vinegar (it doesn't stain).

~I use the orange vinegar straight for cleaning the greasy range hood and to clean our grill.

27 comments:

Kellen said...

Thank you! :) 

Hearthandshome said...

You're welcome!

DeAnna Beth Jones said...

LOVE this!  I do the citrus peels in vinegar one, myself... works like a charm.  I wish I could find borax easily, tho.  Can't find it in my town anywhere. 

Erin said...

how long do the peels need to soak in the vinegar before it's potent enough to use?

Terri said...

have you checked walmart? I find it by the detergent.

Heathr1j68 said...

Awesome!  Thanks! :)

Sherrine said...

 I found Borax at my local Walmart.

Debbie Young said...

have you found anything that easily wipes Stainless Steel Appliances clean?

Jane said...

I am confused. Are these both all-purpose cleaners. Are they both for kitchen & bath? Could you please tell me what you use each to clean?

Anonymous said...

Borax is toxic?

Michelle said...

I love using the orange vinegar in my dishwasher.  Great on the dishes and great on the dishwasher.  I have a huge gallon glass jar of the stuff and use a bit in each load. 

Joy said...

Your soft scrub recipe posted the other week is just magic - love it!  So going to try this.....minus the peel as I just know I won't get round to replacing :)  May try lavender oil........

Barbara said...

I like this, but I usually just use vinegar or peroxide...I like the orange peel/vinegar idea.  will try it!  Thanks!

Wendy said...

FYI, if you add vinegar to a "castile" soap (most liquid castile soaps aren't even Castile soap, btw) you are converting the soap back into oils, so they will not clean as well. Best to use the vinegar after, or don't use it at all. I don't doubt this recipe works very well, but for most things, plain water, or vinegar water work well. I am a soapmaker and a chemist. ;)

Janice said...

Do you need to rinse after using in the kitchen? Any reason to rinse anywhere you use it?

Jeannine Gorman said...

 Is Dr. Bronners real Castile soap? I wasn't aware liquid was different. Thanks for the info, very enlightening. =]

Anonymous said...

Has anyone used this to mop floors with? Did it work well? Anyone know any homemade "pinesol" floor cleaner?

Anonymous said...

Only problem with this is castile soap and vinegar neutralize each other, reducing the soap back to an oil form. Castile is a base and vinegar is an acid. Try using a dash of dawn dish soap instead, leaves less streaks on shiny surfaces.

marie said...

thank goodness for Wendy,soapmaker and chemist.

Veronica said...

I want to know how I can use the pickled cities rinds before tossing them out? :)

Estelle Butler said...

Debbie. Buy the ULTIMATE CLOTH. It will clean. Windows, mirrors, stainless steel , it is just the greatest. Type in. Ultimate cloth...u won't be without it..1 cloth will last for a really long time...like over a yr or more. ..

Martinez said...

Do you need to rinse after using in the kitchen? Any reason to rinse anywhere you use it?

Anonymous said...

Since the admin of this web page is working, no hesitation very rapidly it will be renowned, due to its feature contents.


my web site :: the paleo diet

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some
overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Other then that, awesome blog!

Also visit my web-site - paleo diet

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is fundamental and everything.
But think of if you added some great images or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"!

Your content is excellent but with pics and video clips,
this site could certainly be one of the greatest in
its niche. Awesome blog!

Visit my web-site the paleo diet

carol said...

You are a treasure--I've been making my laundry soap and household cleaners for nearly a year now. The health of my allergy prone family has vastly improved and I believe what I'm making is as good as the chemical laden products on the shelves. I'm going to try your formula--I never thought to add borax to mine and can't wait to see how it works out. I am also going to mix up some of your mixes. Please keep on writing--

william alberto said...

Yes is bit confusing but you can opt for professional Bond Cleaning Brisbane and End Of Lease Cleaners Brisbane services to attain best cleaning results